Leading French weekly financial newspaper L'AGEFI Hebdo profiles Yann Gérardin, Head of Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) at BNP Paribas, looking at how our 2020 ambition is underpinning our emergence as the Europe-based CIB of reference: by being at the service of the Group's clients, and offering solutions to help them grow and achieve their goals in a fast-changing world. Here are the highlights:
Yann Gérardin discusses our 2020 ambition with leading French economics weekly, L'AGEFI, outlining our progression and our challenges.
- "We are gaining market share. This trend, initiated in
2014, is continuing."
- "Our positioning allows us to demonstrate stronger
ambitions in Europe."
- BNP Paribas CIB intends to accelerate its development
in several European countries by strengthening its local client base,
particularly in the United Kingdom, as well as in Germany, the Netherlands and
the Scandinavian countries.
- The development of CIB will also pass through the
regions APAC and the Americas.
- "Faced with the new regulation, no bank today can have
an independent CIB strategy. All businesses and regions of the bank must be aligned
with each other."
- At the end of 2016, BNP
Paribas CIB created sectoral coverage expertise to support geographic
expertise. "This helps us to be even more effective in winning new
clients and mandates"
- "There is an effort to be made. If we wish to be
credible to our clients, they must be reassured about our financial
strength, which also involves an improvement in our cost-to-income ratio
(objective of 8 pts reduction by 2020) knowing that we are working in a balanced
manner on the three levers: costs, financial resources and income."
- BNP Paribas CIB also undertook a major digital transformation: "Last year we met 500 start-ups and plan to work with around 100 of them, either via partnerships or joint ventures